Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hand soap for auto technicians?

My boyfriend just started working for honda as a tech and his hands are GROSSSS! His hands have always been extremely dry and rough to begin with so it seems to actually absorb the oil and grease from the cars. Soap doesnt work, the soap they have at work does not work, I've even forced him to get manicures with me and those did not work.





What soap is strong enough for this?Hand soap for auto technicians?
The common name for my job might be Industrial Maintenance Mechanic. It's actually a lot more complex. I also work on my own trucks, cars and motorcycles. I have found one thing that works well for me. Better than the stuff they sell to garages like Go-Jo, Fast Orange, etc.





GOOP is the brand name. It's a waterless / with water hand cleaner you can find at places that carry the others. Only $1.97 at Wal-Mart.





I put it on my DRY dirty hands. When rubbed, it actually dissolves and mixes with the grease and oil. Rinse with warm water. I hardly ever have to use a brush. It contains lanolin, which is a natural skin softener.





Try it. If he doesn't like it, you're only out two bucks.


If he does, you're happy.Hand soap for auto technicians?
i've had good results from that dry crap that you rub off, but usually i just use dish soap with a brush, regular soap will do if you skin is strong enough to scrub hard, the skin on mu knuckles can't take it, it just splits and bleeds then you really cant clean it.





that dry stuff i mentioned is used by pouring some on you hands (its about the same consistancy as dish soap) rub it into your greasy hands and it absorbs the oil and flakes off your skin.
I worked as a mechanic for over 8 years an never found any product that would take everything off. Once it's absorbed into your skin there's not a lot you can do. You're dealing with so many things - oil, grease, antifreeze, brake fluid etc. The best I found was Fast Orange and a scrub brush. Tell him he might try using mechanics gloves if he can stand to wear them. After I quit working on cars it was probably 2 to 3 months before all the grime came off. It's just something you have to live with.
Strange as it may seem I use a cheap hair shampoo for greasy hair. The secret is in how it is used, I put it on my hands dry and use a scrub brush that is designed to wash potatoes and then turn on the water and continue to use the bush to get the grease out from under my finger nails.
Try a good laundry detergent to remove oil and grease stains on the hands. There was an abrasive soap in a can with some petroleum based cleaner that existed long ago. I haven't found anything except Lava Soap and the laundry detergent .

No comments:

Post a Comment