Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Can I use hand soap when cleaning a hamster's cage?What is the best soap to use?Or do I use just hot-water?

If I can use soap to clean my hamster cage. Can I use palmolive soap to wash my hamster cage?Can I use hand soap when cleaning a hamster's cage?What is the best soap to use?Or do I use just hot-water?
You shouldn't use hand soap to clean his cage.


I use vinegar and hot water mixed together, which is not toxic.


The only kind of soap that is acceptable to use is orange dish soap, and even then you will want to keep him out of the room while you are cleaning and wait for it to dry completely before you put him back into it, because of the smell of the soap.Can I use hand soap when cleaning a hamster's cage?What is the best soap to use?Or do I use just hot-water?
If the cage is plastic and very dirty- Diluted vinegar works really well. The best option, in my opinion, is dish washing liquid.


if the cage is plastic and somewhat dirty- You can pretty much just rinse it with hot water.





You just can't use shampoos or conditioners, anything like windex or comet, etc. Nothing too fragrant or it could give the hammie respiratory problems. Avoid harsh chemicals as well.
Palmolive is okay to use on a dirty hamster cage just as long as you make sure to really get all the soap off. Do use hot water with the soap.





When my hamster got his cage really dirty while I was on trips, I would just use dish soap and it works fine.
and soap is fine, just make sure to wash it off really well!! and it helps if you put down some paper towel to maybe suck some of the soap away, when hamsters eat that they get really sick!! Hope this helps!!








PS: Dawn, soap is THEE best soap, totally works!
i have owned 6 hamsters and i have always used washing up liquid and hot water and they have never had any problems i wouldn't use hand soap though!

No comments:

Post a Comment