Thursday, December 17, 2009

Is it ok to wash my retainer with antibacterial hand soap?

The ortho told me I should brush it with toothpaste and my toothbrush, but I find this terribly inconvenient. The antibacterial handsoap I have in the bathroom is much eaier to do, I find.





However, my dad told me that anti-bacterial soaps eat away at plastics over time (ie. my retainer). That's apparently part of the reason why the soap dispensers in public washrooms are often leaky.





So, are my father and the ortho right? Or is it ok for me to use hand soap?





Thanks in advanceIs it ok to wash my retainer with antibacterial hand soap?
The ortho and your dad are right, brush your retainer with toothpaste and a toothbrush.


Antibacterial soaps are not meant for objects that go into your mouth. And yes, they do degrade plastics because of the alcohols.


You want to use the toothbrush so you can get rid of food particles that can cause stinky smells on your breath and put you at risk for infection.


If a tooth brush is too small for you to use, try a fingernail brush, available at any drug or beauty supply store. Use only a small amount of toothpaste. like pea sized.Is it ok to wash my retainer with antibacterial hand soap?
are you serious? Why would you ignore the ortho's advice and make up your own washing routine just because it's more convenient? That is warped and you are plain stupid. Report Abuse

Ever heard that you're not supposed to put chemicals in your mouth other than ones that are specifically made for them? Even toothpastes/mouth washes, you are not supposed to leave them in your mouth for long or swallow any. Report Abuse

ohhh jeeeeez, it can't be that inconvienient. it would taste like soap probably too, eww.
just brush with a little bit of toothpaste and brush, make sure it is rinsed and dried properly
..but isn't the toothpaste and toothbrush already in the bathroom too?


Regardless, don't use soap. If brushing it with toothpaste is truely that time consuming then at least let it soak in some Listerine for a few minutes to kill the germs...
toothbrush is better simply because of the physical act of brushing it. you really don't need the toothpaste of soap or anything.
i dont see anything wrong with it. but you can wash your retainer with a brush when you brush your teeth or you think that is hard too?!
I've had my retainer now for a year and I remember going home with it and waking the next morning to clean it. What a pain......you are right. It's even sort of ineffective at getting at all of the crevices on the INSIDE of the mold. The outside is of course much easier. Anyhow......I HATED brushing it too but never would have considered using antibacterial soap. And still won't. That just doesn't sound safe!





Instead, and after that first night, I simply use good ole denture cleaner.I use one tab a day so yes I buy the BIG box (lol) and I feel funny being only 30 and buying denture cleaner, but my retainers are in PERFECT condition, NEVER smell, and I know that they are completely germ free when I put them on each night before bed.





The box says to keep them in the solution for 15 minutes and then let them dry but I don't think I've ever done that.......I leave them in the little cup by the sink and they soak all day until I rinse them out directly before putting them back in each night. Nothing adverse has happened to my retainers and it's been a year.





When you think about it, my ortho says to soak them in mouthwash..........and that sounds pretty harsh to me especially with all the sugar and coloring in most washes these days........denture cleaner is MADE for someones removable teeth and won't irritate the gums with color and sugar and crap :)
toothpaste. you can even soak it in efferdent but you shoul still always brush it.
  • acne medication
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment